Sunday, March 17, 2013

Calla's EEG

Calla had an EEG done 2 weeks ago to check for seizures. 
 I was concerned because IP can affect the central nervous system and she had been displaying some behaviors that were worrying me. I had looked up infant seizures on YouTube so I knew what to look for. 
Bad idea. 
Infant seizures can be much more subtle that seizures in adults. So, of course, after viewing a few videos online, I freaked out. While nursing, and shortly after, Calla would arch her back and continually hit her face with her hand. It kind of looked like an infant seizure, but it kind of looked like she was fighting back reflux. It is so hard to tell and I just worry so much! I recorded an episode of this on my phone and showed her pediatrician at her last appointment. Just to be safe, the ped set us up with an EEG and referred us out to a neurologist.
Calla HATED the electrodes being placed on her head. She needed all 26 attached and she cried the whole time the tech was putting them on her! Fortunately, after they were all connected, she fell asleep immediately. Poor girl. They did need her to sleep during the test, so I'm glad she was able to!

All hooked up

Wrapped up so those darn things wouldn't come undone

The test lasted about an hour. Calla slept the entire time. We got the results backs a few days later.
Everything looked normal! 
 We met with the neurologist the next week. He said Calla looks great. He watched the video I took and said that seizures in infants definitely can look like reflux, so I wasn't crazy for being concerned. He would like to see her back in 6 months just to check her developmental progress. 
No EEG is needed again unless things change.
Whew! 
 So relieved to hear that things are looking good.
Our next appointment is on the 27th with the ophthalmologist to check Calla's eyes again. 
Crossing our fingers that everything goes well!







0 comments: