Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Mod Podge!

Sometimes I get an overwhelming urge to create and/or redo something.  Wren's dresser drawers have been driving me crazy.   It's not like I see the bottom of her drawers often, but when I do I always think to myself, "You seriously gotta do something about that weird bicentennial paper lining in here..."

Check it.  
Kinda weird, right?

I wish you could have seen this dresser like 2 years ago.  It was a dark, dark brown color and just sitting in our (at the time) guest bedroom (now nursery) looking all dark and slightly ominous.  I think I woke up one morning with that overwhelming urge that I get and decided I was going to paint it.  Like right that second.  Pretty sure Chris came home from work and I had the whole thing pulled out into the garage with one layer of white paint already on.  Obviously, it needed to be painted right now!  I couldn't wait.  I knew we had leftover white paint in the basement, so I just went at it.  See what I'm talking about?  It's a completely irrational need to fix/paint/decorate/modpodgitize something immediately.  Oh well, I did it and I think the dresser looks waaaaaaay better white.  And it looks great in Wren's bedroom, by the way.  

So anyway, back to present time.... one trip to Michael's, a few sheets of scrapbook paper, half of a bottle of Mod Podge, and a couple of hours later, those weird looking drawers have been transformed from this....


to this!

I think it's super cute.  


I think that baby is pretty stinkin' cute, too.


Wren was my assistant for the day.

 I used 4 different designs of scrapbook paper... one for each size of drawer.  I emptied out the drawers, gave them a quick wipe down with a damp rag, then applied a thin layer of Mod Podge.  I already had laid out the way I wanted the paper to go, so all I needed to do was put the paper in and smooth it out (which can be kinda tricky sometimes... I always get bubbles).  But after applying a couple of layers of Mod Podge on top of the paper, things usually get weighted down enough that you don't notice the bumps so much.  So yeah, that's about it.  Easy peasy.  



The scrapbook paper was 12x12, so I had to use a few pages for each drawer just because the dimensions were something crazy like 21.5" x 14.75"or something weird like that.  








Totally cute.  And super easy.  And best of all, super cheap!  Seriously.  Scrapbook paper was on sale at Michael's for 6 for $1.00.  Awesome. I used a 40% off coupon for the Mod Podge, so that only cost me like $6.80 or something.  Super awesome.  Plus I still have like half of the bottle left!  Super DUPER awesome. Overall, it actually cost me like 20 buckaroos because it is absolutely impossible for me to go to Michael's and only buy what I really need.  I also got a few pairs of socks from their dollar section... I know, socks from Michael's?!  But they are cute, seasonal socks!  For a dollar!  And some cutesy stripey gloves (also from the dollar section).  A star paper punch (guess from where... oh yes, the DOLLAR SECTION!).  I also got a ton of scrapbook paper just to add to my stash because it was so cheap.  I probably could have done this project for under $10 if I would have bought only what I needed.  But c'mon, really... what fun is that?

My assistant taking a break.


Such a cutie patootie.

I'm totally doing some more Mod Podging.... soon.  I love it.  

1 comments:

Marcia O'Duggan said...

delightful!The dresser drawers,your journal about it, and that Wren-a-roodles!